I love way too many books to limit the list to only three, so I say it’s time to look at another smattering of books. This time I’ll be taking a look at some of my favorite science fiction, starting with:
“The Hitchhiker’s Guide To The Galaxy” by Douglas Adams
- Why I Love It: Do I even need to explain this? The Hitchhiker’s Guide To The Galaxy is one of the most beloved science fiction novels known to man. It’s clever, satirical, and downright brilliant. But it also holds a place in my heart for another reason. This book defined my sense of humor. It made me understand how to use the ridiculous, how to place just the right amount of absurd to get a laugh. Without it, I may not have even made the same friends, or became a reviewer. It truly told me where my towel was.
- Favorite Quote: There is simply too many good quotes for me to pick just one. Go find the book, open it to any page, and then put your finger there. That sentence, that sentence is my favorite.
- Read This If You Like: Laughing.
“Brave New World” by Aldous Huxely
- Why I Love It: I don’t know if I’ve ever told you guys, but by far my favorite type of media has always been satire and allegory. And this book is the reason for that. The world it paints, while a bit unrealistic, is so drenched in truth that I see its predictions and echoes even today. The story is brilliant, the ending is heartbreaking, and chapter three is quite possibly the best piece of writing I’ve ever read.
- Favorite Quote: “All crosses had their tops cut and became T’s. There was also a thing called God.”
- Read This If You Like: Satire, dystopia, and being positively terrified.
“Animorphs: The Invasion” by K.A. Applegate
- Why I Love It: Because it sparked my love of reading. This, Goosebumps, and Captain Underpants turned a young me into a voracious reader. I love how this book series is for kids, but never, ever talks down to them. The concepts are not black and white, and the story is complex and morally challenging. Its internal mythology is brilliant, and the aliens are some of the most creative…well, anything I’ve ever come across. It’s a massive series, that’s worth reading in its entirety.
- Favorite Quote: (I’m kind of cheating here, as it’s at the back of every book) “We can’t tell you who we are. Or where we live. It’s too risky. And we’ve got to be careful. But everyone is in danger. Yeah. Even you.”
- Read This If You Like: A lot of content, and massive paranoia-inducing concepts.
Did you like the article? Dislike? Tell me about it in the comments. I would love to hear your opinions! If interested in specific articles, or want to write as a guest, you can message me at firstname.lastname@example.org. If you want to help keep this blog going, consider becoming my patron at https://www.patreon.com/coolerbs. Thanks for reading!